Basil essential oil stirs your senses and enlivens your spirit. It also brings clarity, awareness, and happiness and helps to balance your energy centers. This wildly beneficial oil is a popular ingredient in culinary, physical, spiritual, and emotional applications, an all-star essential oil that smells gorgeous too.
History of Basil, Ocimum Basilicum, and Today’s Energy Centers Healing
Curiously, Basil oil sometimes held the revered position it now enjoys. For example, some ancient Greeks disliked the herbaceous oil and plant, thinking it was unpalatable and a breeder of scorpions. Likewise, the Greek physician and botanist who authored the Greek encyclopedia of herbal medicine, Dioscorides, thought it dulled sight.
However, that attitude toward basil had entirely transformed by the 1600s. For instance, herbalist/botanist John Gerard waxed poetically about the aroma of basil, saying it is ‘good for the heart and for the head.’ Then, his compatriot noted botanist and physician Nicholas Culpepper found several uses for basil. He said: “It expelleth both birth and after-birth and advising its usefulness in easing the pain of venomous bites of scorpions, hornets, and wasps.” Both herbalists were on the right track for what we now know are some of the basil’s many benefits, including balancing energy centers.
A Million Uses for Basil
Basil is an herb of many faces, with 50 to 150 different species of the herb available. However, we derive most essential oils from sweet Basil, known for its high linalool content that benefits many physical and emotional issues. Therefore, we primarily use Basil in energy work to balance energy centers.
Basil For Energy Centers Balancing and Other Uses
Undoudfully, energy centers healing is important for energy work. However, high concentrations of antioxidants and phytochemicals also make Basil oil a notable aid for physical ailments. For example, we often use Basil oil for these issues:
- First of all, Basil oil is a great muscle relaxant. Therefore you can soothe your tight muscles and swollen joints with a relaxing massage of basil oil. Also, adding a hint of lavender oil gives it another little boost in aroma and effect. These soothing, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic benefits come from the oil’s limonene and eugenol. And linalool, estragole, and sabinene phytochemical content.
- Secondly, BAsil oil is acne-calming. Hence, Basil’s antibacterial properties greatly aid those enduring acne breakouts.
- Next, this oil is a great nasal decongestant. As a result, the aroma of Basil, especially when combined with eucalyptus, is favored by many to ease nasal congestion.
- Additionally, Basil oil is often used for ear discomfort. For this reason, Ayurvedic medicine practitioners have used essential basil oil to calm ear pain and infection.
- Last but not least, Basil oil has been a long-treasured approach to calming headaches. For example, traditional healers suggest you rub a few drops of Basil with a carrier oil into the bottom of your feet for headaches.
For centuries, basil essential oil’s aroma brought about positive emotional effects to its users. Here are some examples:
- Stress. Wipe away mental fatigue and ease anxiety and stress with the aroma of Basil essential oil.
- Energy. The aroma of basil essential oil is a mood enhancer and energizer due to its effects on the adrenal cortex and nervous system.
- Pleasure. Basil oil has long been considered an aphrodisiac, especially in Ayurvedic healing. For example, some researchers believe the oil’s link to sexual pleasure relates to its effects in calming the nervous system and uplifting mood. Curiously, in previous centuries, young Italian women would place basil leaves in their hair to entice young men.
Spiritual Uses (energy centers)
- Balance and Harmony. Basil oil awakens the spirit and alerts it to physical and spiritual realms. This clarity of mind aids meditation to balance energy centers and to find focus and concentration.
- Chakras. Basil essential oil is ideal for balancing the solar plexus and throat chakras.
- Angelic Fragrance. Basil oil is an angelic fragrance, clearing your mind to ease the connection with your spirit guides and angels. In addition, it attracts good spirits.
- Spiritual Use. If you seek protection and wish to attract love, prosperity, and success into your life, basil oil is an excellent choice. In addition, the oil encourages users’ confidence and provides a cleansing effect before rituals.
Whether you use Basil essential oil for energy centers or other purposes, dilute it in a carrier oil before applying it to the skin. Furthermore, pregnant and nursing women and those with epilepsy should avoid using the oil. Also, using Basil directly on the skin without dilution can cause skin irritation; Therefore, avoid contact with mucous membranes and sensitive areas.